Warming, lightly alcoholic autumn / winter drink that will make cold evenings nicer. Also it would be great for festive dinners.
It have a high fruit taste – especially orange. This mulled wine is easy to make and will fill the house with a pleasant smell.
MULLED WHITE WINE WITH ORANGE JUICEDrukāt/Print
Sastāvdaļas750 ml dry white wine* 1 apple 2 large oranges 1/2 lemon (sliced) 2 tbsp honey 4 anise stars 1 tsp cloves 4 cinnamon sticks 1/2 cup lingonberries or cranberries + some for decoration 1 tbsp fresh ginger (cut into slices)
- Squeeze the juice from 1 orange, strain through a fine sieve and pour into a medium size saucepan;
- Cut the second orange in half. Then cut one half of orange in a small slices and place in a saucepan, cut other half of orange in a round slices and save it for drink decoration;
- Cut the apple into thin slices and place in a saucepan;
- Pour the white wine into a saucepan and add all the other ingredients;
- Simmer it on a small / medium heat (but don’t ever bring it to the boil, so that alcohol doesn’t evaporate) for about 15 min. Stir it now and then & make sure that the honey is completely dissolved;
- Strain mulled wine through a fine sieve in a heat proof glasses. Decorate it with fresh orange slices, fresh lingonberries/cranberries and add some apple slices, cinnamon sticks, anise stars that were heated in a saucepan;
- Serve immediately while the drink is hot.
You can use cheap white wines in this recipe. If you better prefer sweet white wines, use those instead, but then you may need to reduce amount of honey or may not add it at all.
Personally I use German Riesling Trocken type wine, because it has a fresh fruit taste which perfectly goes together with other flavors we use here. And by adding honey, I can control the desired level of sweetness.
If you have a kitchen (food) thermometer, try to heat the wine between 60-70°C, because when you reach ~ 78°C the alcohol from wine will start to evaporate quickly.
If you did this recipe, please show it to us too! Tag your picture in social media with #stayforabite or mark me in your IG post with @stayforabite. We will be really happy to see how it turned out for you!