Returning from a holiday trip around sunny Cyprus, the only thing I wanted was to continue all the vibes I got there with a light, fast and Cyprus-friendly meal.
This breakfast recipe, which in the summer heat is also good for lunch, consists of butter-fried eggs (these eggs are so perfectly fried that they could qualify for a model career every time you cook them), Halloumi cheese grilled in honey and rosemary + fresh zucchini, squash salads.
This meal pleasantly balances the saltiness of goat cheese, sweetness of honey and lemon note in salads.
ZUCCHINI, SQUASH SALAD, GRILLED HALLOUMI & EGGDrukāt/Print
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small squash
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 200 gr Halloumi cheese
- 1 rosemary sprig (fresh)
- 2-3 tsp honey
- olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 30 gr butter
- 1 tbsp water
1. Using a potato peeler or a kitchen mandolin, cut zucchini and squash into fine slices. Place them in a bowl;
2. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, honey, a pinch of salt and pepper (add salt and pepper as desired, but remember that halloumi cheese is usually really salty). Mix everything well and leave in a bowl while you gonna cook eggs and cheese, to allow the flavors soak in;
3. Before serving, pour off excess liquid.
1. Cut cheese into slices (medium thick slices);
2. Pour honey and a little splash of olive oil over all cheese slices and sprinkle over chopped rosemary;
3. Cook cheese on a hot grill pan until it turns golden brown.
1. Melt butter in a medium heat pan;
2. Crack the eggs in a pan. Allow them to cook for a few seconds so they form a bit stronger shape;
3. Pour water into the pan, cover with lid and let eggs to fry until all the egg whites are firm (try not to overcook, so the egg yolk don’t turn whiter or don’t become too strong).
Serve everything while eggs and cheese are still warm!
If you did this recipe, please show it to us too! Tag your picture in social media with #stayforabite or mark me in your IG post with @stayforabite. We will be really happy to see how it turned out for you!