The recipe was made in cooperation with Balticovo.
If you are a wine lover who adores pancakes, loves summer and sweets, then you should definitely try this syrup. It has a pleasantly sweet taste, and you can feel how well wine goes together with all other taste notes. And as for the cherries who comes with this syrup – they don’t need any explanation, they just needs to be eaten with pancakes.
RED WINE CHERRY SYRUPDrukāt/Print
Sastāvdaļas2 cups cherries (~ 350 gr) 1/2 cup sugar 300 ml red wine (Cabernet Savignon or Shiraz) 1/2 tsp cloves 2-3 anise starsOptional: 1 tsp vanilla extract / paste
- Cut the cherries in half and remove the pits;
- Place the peeled cherries in a small saucepan;
- Add sugar, wine, cloves and anise. If you want, you can add vanilla extract for additional taste;
- Boil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally;
- After cooking for 5 minutes, remove the cherries from the liquid and place them in a jar (this is needed to be done to not overcook them and they still retain their shape);
- Continue to boil / reduce cherry syrup for another ~ 15 min. After 15 minutes it should become thicker and the volume of the liquid should decrease;
- Pour the syrup over the cherries.
You can use the syrup immediately, with pancakes or leave it overnight in the refrigerator to give the cherries an even stronger taste of wine syrup.
When you are serving pancakes, you can add some fresh cherries as well, to have mix flavors.
If you want, you can use other red wines, but Cabernet Savignon or Shiraz will have the most berry flavors.
If you did this recipe, please show it to us too! Tag your picture in social media with #stayforabite or mark me in your IG post with @stayforabite. We will be really happy to see how it turned out for you!